Thursday, November 24, 2016

Flex

When I first started teaching,
I had nothing.
I barely had enough desks.
Or chairs.

I worked in a public school.
But I supplied...everything.

I now work for the Disney World of Elementary Schools.
Ask and we can probably get.
I posted several projects on DonorsChoose.org

And this year, we really launched flex seating.
Since I loop with 3rd and 4th graders,
spending two years together,
I purposefully change the room a lot.

This year is third, and they have low options, kneeling, stools, buddy bands, balls, and standing desks.
Next year, during 4th, I have enough yoga balls for everyone to have one.
It's less flexible, but more gearing up for 5th grade.

This year, I introduced all seats at one time, along with our flexible seating poster.
Here's the gist:

1.) We choose a new seat each Monday.  You have to be here to switch.  You will have that seat for the week.
2.) Choose a seat that will allow you and your table mates optimal (your best) learning.
3.) If you choose a yoga ball, no bouncing during direction instruction, and two feet on the floor at all times.  (One reminder, 2nd reminder, you get a chair for the week).
4.) Ms. Witherell and Miss W reserve the right to move any students, at any time, for any reason.

Pretty basic, but it's been great.

I like not switching for every lesson, as some classrooms do, since we have several specials each day that would be switching without me in the room.

Each student has a supply cup stored on the far side of the room and they pick up their cup and Wallet/Checkbook each morning.

This allows them to have their home base at their desk, but also work with clipboards on the three separate rug areas or at my table.

The love it.
I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment