Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Multiply and Divide

It's family conference season.
That's parent teacher conferences in some circles.
Though, we know in this day and age, kids are being raised by a lot of different people, not all of whom fall under the category of "parent".

Grandparents, older siblings, foster parents, aunts and uncles, step parents, etc, all glitter my classroom with the love they share for their "kids".

I, for one, have always loved conference season.
Time to check in.
Share.
Collaborate.
Teamwork = Dreams work.
I love helping a student see what I see in a bigger picture.
Reviewing great data and growth.
Brainstorming.
Laughing.
Smiling.
And making plans for the rest of the year for each student.

This season I find myself exceptionally excited about sharing our community service work, The Red Pencil novel we just finished, our jewlery making, our friendship with DonorsChoose.org, our new curriculums, and the vibe of our room.

Which is pretty homey this year.
Filled with socratic seminar benches.
And high top chairs.
And rolling chairs.
And yoga balls, etc.

And all the shining up that our friendship with DonorsChoose.org has provided.

But I end every conference with the following - and I mean it the most:

"Listen, I will teach them to multiply and divide, add and subtract, read, write, and love learning.  But none of these is as important as teaching them to be good citizens of the world."

At this point, my families all nod and say YAS!  (okay, not all of them do that, but the majority.) ;)

"And if they only ever learn to multiply hate and add hurt.  Or if they only learn to write hateful prose or read discrimination - then what have I really taught?  It is my mission that they learn to multiply kindness.  That their hearts yearn to give to others the way they learn to subtract.  That their words heal.  And spread hope.  That they know the power to change the world lives within each them."

And you know, I love getting to say that at every conference, because as much as I'm sharing that with families, I'm also sharing that with myself.
Over and over.

This is your job.
Do not slow down.
BE THE GOOD.



No comments:

Post a Comment