Saturday, December 03, 2016

Travel

 
I had no idea, when I posted this photo of our class on our way to Greenland, it was going to be such a hit.

Many of my readers wanted to know more.

So.

Here we go:

Starting my first year of teaching, I had a smartboard, and I had some of the neediest kids. 
Kids who had never been on a plane.
Or train.
Or boat.
Or out of their barrio in the very inner city.

And so.
I started showing them what the jetway was.
And the plane boarding and the whole shebang.

Today, I don't teach in quiet the same environment.
We're more rural/suburban.

BUT - I do work at the Disney World of Elementary Schools.
LOVE...LOVE...LOVE.

Though the kids still lack a lot of experiences.
So, while they are at afternoon Extended Learning Time (this week they have Technology), I get the room ready.

This is actually the most time consuming part.
I only have 5 chairs.
We are a flexible seating room, so I have to borrow chairs from another specials room for this period.

I set them up in rows of two, the last row has three each as we have 18 kids.
I pass out Rachelle's amazing:
 Suitcase
Passport
Vocab Book

Along with a ticketthe day before, so I just pass out their suitcases at the end of specials.

When they enter the room, this is paused on the board:
   
Then we watch just a little bit of this, probably about 4-5 minutes.
While this next video is playing, we pass out our snack.
Yesterday we had oreos and crackers.

Our school provides daily snack, so next week, I'm just going to give them their regular snack during this time.
 

 

We spend a little bit of time talking about Greenland and pass out Rachelle's info sheet.

She also has a craftivity, but in this case, it was a letter to Santa, and we opted to do a video of Greenland over the craft.

Our class watched this:

Exploring caves as a job:

The class' favorite - Glaciers Up Close :) :

Honestly, here's the link to Rachelle's Work:
Holidays Around the World Part 1 & 2
It's incredible.
I don't even use her book recs, but they are there.
Bulletin board stuff.
There.
Passages.
There.
Games.
Pictures.
There and There.

One of the best products I've purchased from TPT.
(*I don't know her IRL, I don't get points for telling you I love it, it simply is easy to use and has over 200 pages.  So.  That should just speak for itself)

Sharing this experience with the kids is the best.
I am humbled by their enthusiasm and constant joy.
It's "free".
Like I don't have to order books online or DVDs, I just scour the internet for cool videos.
And let the magic of moving a few chairs do it's work.  Simply the best.!

As a souvenir, from each country, I pick a backdrop and we take a tourist class shot on our "trip".  While in Greenland, we took our photo with the aurora borealis:

No comments:

Post a Comment