Saturday, December 10, 2016

Desk


Ok.

I know ahead of time.
This post.
Will likely strike a not so nice chord with some teachers.
And even some teachery type friends.

But the opinions I express here are mine.
They make sense to me.
So if you are in some way offended - I put that back on you.
I'm talking about my teaching practice and what my belief is.

It is no way a judgement of you.
Here we go.

I never had a desk.
A teacher one that is.

I read something in graduate school.
A small snippet of something or Dr. Grassetti had mentioned it.
And I decided I didn't need one.

It was a place for piles.
And it felt like it asserted power that I didn't want.
And somehow made me the most important person in the room - which I am not.

For so many new teachers and old ones for that matter,
A desk is a requirement.
You've waited your entire life for knick knack space and pen holders.
And the ever so important place to lock up your valuables since you can't trust your kids.

I decided I wanted to learn WITH my class, experience learning with them, rather than at them.
To this day I can tell a lot about a teacher by the size of their desk.
How important they feel.
How much they want their student's respect.
How little they trust their kids.

And I can also tell, when someone has given over to this believe.
And decided that their classroom will be a community, not just "theirs".

The next question becomes what do you DO with all your STUFF?!
Honestly, I try not to have too much of it.
I made myself a teacher toolbox, which I'm happy to share on another post.
And that's about it.
I also have a shelf in the library that's materialy.

And.

Last year, I built (so easy).
My own standing computer table.
Both the kids and I use it.
And man alive, do we love it.

You can make one too.
SO easy.

You'll need a table top: LINNMON Table Top IKEA
And a 4 Cube Organizer: Better Homes and Garden Walmart
And...
are you even ready for this:
Industrial strength velcro.

Yes, folks.
No glue, no nails.
Nothing.

That's it.
Velcro the bottom of the table top and the tope of the 4 Cubes and done.
I got fancy and addes casters to mine so it can also roll anywhere in the room.
But.
Also super easy.
We love our standing "desk" and I appreciate that we all have a chance to move.
Without feeling like - Ms. Witherell has a spot dedicated solely to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment